Monday, April 20, 2009

Workalcoholism

Can be dangerous. From robotic work in coding the data and transcribing things from paper to electronic resources, I felt drained and fatigued. The fact is, that after 10-13 daily hours of coding data, is it impossible not to be such a vegetable. However, I took comfort in seeing how the data set grew constantly every day (no disappointments there) and reach the finish line sooner than expected (3 weeks overall). However, it took a lot of effort.
Important issue: do you set up codes at the beginning of the process and make different ones as you advance or you just enter everything and code at the end? well, I think starting to code the firms, plants, countries at the beginning is the best way, especially in my case, where things do not change radically from year to year. In this case, you just need to make sure that everything is up to date and just add new codes for new entries (plants, firms, countries). So, if I were to do it again, I would assign codes from the very start. But again, it might be different in each case.

No comments: